facts, trivia, interesting thoughts
presented by ... brian
page is no longer being updated, please go here
for the most up to date fascinating facts page
- 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
- if a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in
the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person
died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the
ground, the person died of natural causes.
- no word in the english language rhymes with month, orange, silver,
- clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people
without killing them use to burn their houses down - hence the expression "to
- canada is an indian word meaning "big
- there are 2 credit cards for every person in the united states.
- only two people signed the declaration of independence on
july 4th, john hancock and charles thomson. most of the rest signed on august
2, but the last signature wasnt added until 5 years later.
- "i am." is the shortest complete sentence
in the english language..
- the term "the whole 9 yards" came from
wwii fighter pilots in the south pacific. when arming their airplanes on the ground, the
.50 caliber machine gun ammo belts measured exactly 27 feet, before being loaded into the
fuselage. if the pilots fired all their ammo at a target, it got "the whole 9
- each king in a deck of playing cards represents a
great king from history. spades - king david; clubs - alexander the great; hearts -
charlemagne; and diamonds - julius caesar.
- "sleep tight" came from: beds before the 19th century were
made of frames of wood that had holes for ropes that were laticed to hold a matress (such
as they were). there was a wooden peg/pole that could be placed so that it fitted around
the ropes going out and back in on the outside of the bedframe to tighten the lattice of
ropes so the bed would not sag. this was done right before you got in bed. (explanation
from gale barker)
- the most common name in the world is mohammed.
- the name jeep came from the abbreviation used in the
army for the "general purpose" vehicle, g.p.
- the sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."
uses every letter in the alphabet. (developed by western union to test telex/twx
- the eisenhower interstate system requires that one mile in every five
must be straight. these straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other
- in every episode of seinfeld there is a superman
- average life span of a major league baseball: 7 pitches.
- a duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.
- the only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a
letter is uncopyrightable.
- the reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days of
yore when the engines were pulled by horses. the horses were stabled on the ground floor
and figured out how to walk up straight staircases.
- the airplane buddy holly died in was the "american pie."
(thus the name of the don mclean song.)
- the word "samba" means "to rub navels
- the international telephone dialing code for antarctica is 672.
- the glue on israeli postage stamps is certified kosher.
- nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected
- if you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have
$1.19. you also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make
change for a dollar.
- no nfl team which plays its home games in a domed
stadium has ever won a superbowl.
- the first toilet ever seen on television was on "leave
it to beaver".
- the only two days of the year in which there are no professional
sports games (mlb, nba, nhl, or nfl) are the day before and the day after the major league
- only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.
- the name wendy was made up for the book "peter pan."
- in cleveland, ohio, it's illegal to catch mice without a hunting
- it takes 3,000 cows to supply the nfl with enough
leather for a year's supply of footballs.
- 35% of the people who use personal ads for dating
are already married.
- pound for pound, hamburgers cost more than new cars.
- the 3 most valuable brand names on earth: marlboro, coca- cola, and
budweiser, in that order.
- it's possible to lead a cow upstairs...but not downstairs.
- humans are the only primates that don't have pigment in the palms of
- 10% of the russian government's income comes from
the sale of vodka.
- on average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.
- in 10 minutes, a hurricane releases more energy than all the world's
nuclear weapons combined.
- reno, nevada is west of los angeles, california.
- average age of top gm executives in 1994: 49.8 years. average age of
the rolling stones: 50.6.
- elephants can't jump. every other mammal can.
- the cigarette lighter was invented before the match.
- five jell-o flavors that flopped: celery, coffee, cola, apple, and
- mel blanc (the voice of bugs bunny) was allergic to carrots.
- until 1965, driving was done on the left-hand side on roads in
sweden. the conversion to right-hand was done on a weekday at 5pm. all traffic
stopped as people switched sides. this time and day were chosen to prevent accidents where
drivers would have gotten up in the morning and been too sleepy to realize that *this*
was the day of the changeover.
- the very first bomb dropped by the allies on berlin
during world war ii killed the only elephant in the berlin zoo.
- dr. seuss pronounced "seuss" such that it rhymed with
- in casablanca, humphrey bogart never said "play
it again, sam."
- sherlock holmes
never said "elementary, my dear
- more people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air crashes.
- the term, "its all fun and games until someone loses an
eye" is from ancient rome. the only rule during wrestling matches was, "no eye
gouging." everything else was allowed, but the only way to be disqualified was to
poke someones eye out.
- a jiffy is an actual unit of time for
1/100th of a second.
- the average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
- hersheys kisses are called that because the machine that makes
them looks like its kissing the conveyor belt.
- money isnt made out of paper, its made out of cotton.
- cat's urine glows under a blacklight.
- every time you lick a stamp, youre consuming 1/10 of a calorie.
- the phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from
and old english law which stated that you couldnt beat your wife with anything wider
than your thumb.
- the pentagon, in arlington, virginia, has twice as
many bathrooms as is necessary. when it was built in the 1940s, the state of
virginia still had segregation laws requiring separate toilet facilities for blacks and
- an ostrichs eye is bigger that its brain.
- the average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime at night.
- a rhinoceros horn is made of compacted hair.
- the shortest war in history was between zanzibar and england in 1896,
zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.
- a polar bear's skin is black. its fur is not white, but actually
- dueling is legal in paraguay as long as both parties
are registered blood donors.
- donald duck comics were banned in finland because he doesn't wear
- more people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane
- shakespeare invented the word "assassination" and
- marilyn monroe had six toes.
- if you keep a goldfish in a dark room, it will
eventually turn white.
- women blink nearly twice as much as men.
- right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left
handed people do.
- the name of all the continents end with the same letter that they
- if the population of china walked past you in single file, the line
would never end because of the rate of reproduction.
- a snail can sleep for 3 years.
- china has more english speakers than the united
- the electric chair was invented by a dentist.
- you share your birthday with at least 9 million people.
- the boston university bridge (on commonwealth avenue, boston,
massachusetts) is one of the few places in the world where a boat can sail under a train
driving under a car driving under an airplane.
- cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, dogs only have about ten.
- our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears
never stop growing.
- many hamsters only blink one eye at a time.
- if barbie were life-size her measurements would be
39-23-33. she would stand seven feet, two inches tall and have a neck twice the length of
a normal human's neck.
- montpelier, vermont is the only u.s. state capital without a
- no word in the english language rhymes with month.
- cat's urine glows under a black light.
- the first ford cars had dodge engines.
- leonardo da vinci invented scissors.
- it takes about a half a gallon of water to cook macaroni, and about a
gallon to clean the pot.
- babies are born without knee caps. they don't appear until the child
reaches 2-6 years of age.
- michael jordan makes more money from nike annually than all of the
nike factory workers in malaysia combined.
- one of the reasons marijuana is illegal today because cotton growers
in the 30s lobbied against hemp farmers - they saw it as competition. it is not as
chemically addictive as is nicotine, alcohol, or caffeine.
- the name wendy was made up for the book "peter
- the human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body
to squirt blood 30 feet.
- banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.
- humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for
- on average, people fear spiders more than they do death.
- the strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.
- americans on average eat a total of 18 acres of pizza every day.
- every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie.
- did you know that you are more likely to be killed by a champagne
cork than by a poisonous spider a crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.
- the ant always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.
- polar bears are left-handed.
- a cockroach will live nine days without its head,
before it starves to death.
- the male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to
its body. the female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.
- some lions mate over 50 times a day.
- butterflies taste with their feet.
- starfish haven't got brains.
- a pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
- the longest recorded flight of a chicken is thirteen seconds
- why do you need a drivers license to buy liquor when you
cant drink and drive?
- why isnt phonetic spelled the way it sounds?
- why are there interstate highways in hawaii?
- why are cigarettes sold in gas stations when smoking is prohibited
- do you need a silencer if you are going to shoot a mime?
- have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
- if 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks
on the doors?
- if a cow laughed, w/could milk come out her nose?
- if nothing ever sticks to teflon, how do they make
teflon stick to the pan?
- if you tied buttered toast to the back of a cat and dropped it from a
height, what would happen?
- if youre in a vehicle going the speed of light,
what happens when you turn on the headlights?
- you know how most packages say "open here". what is the
protocol if the package says, "open somewhere else"?
- why do they put braille dots on the keypad of the drive-up atm?
- why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?
- why is it that when you transport something by car, its called
a shipment, but when you transport something by ship, its called cargo?
- you know that little indestructible black box that is used on planes,
why cant they make the whole plane out of the same substance?
- why is it that when youre driving and looking for an address,
you turn down the volume on the radio?
- if you throw a cat out a car window does it become kitty litter?
- if corn oil comes from corn, where does baby oil come from?
- when a cow laughs does milk come out its nose?
- how did a fool and his money get together?
- the highest point in pennsylvania is lower than the lowest point in
- how do they get a deer to cross at that yellow road sign?
- if its tourist season, why cant we shoot them?
- whats another word for thesaurus?
- why do they sterilize the needles for lethal injection?
- why is abbreviation such a long word?
- why do kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
- how do you know when its time to tune your bagpipes?
- is it true that cannibals dont eat clowns because they taste
- when you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
- do blind eskimos have seeing eye sled dogs?
- why is there an expiration date on my sour cream container?
- what do they use to ship styrofoam?
- why do they call it a tv set when you only get one?
- do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?
- what was the best thing before sliced bread?
did you know who in 1923 was:
1. president of the largest steel company?
2. president of the largest gas company?
3. president of the new york stock exchange?
4. greatest wheat speculator?
5. president of the bank of international settlement?
6. great bear of wall street?
these men should have been considered some of the worlds most
successful men. at least they found the secret of making money.
now more than 55 years later, do you know what has become of
1. the president of the largest steel company, charles schwab, died
2. the president of the largest gas company, edward hopson, is insane.
3. the president of the n.y.s.e., richard whitney, was released from prison to die at
4. the greatest wheat speculator, arthur cooger, died abroad, penniless.
5. the president of the bank of international settlement shot himself.
6. the great bear of wall street, cosabee rivermore, died of suicide.
the same year, 1923, the winner of the most important golf
championship, gene sarazan, won the u.s. open and pga tournaments. today he is still
playing golf and is solvent.
about business so much
and play golf when you can
- FREE Meta Tag Generator
1, 2, 3... to Web Site Development & Search Engine Promotion
bio | pi |
socrates | plato |
fascinating facts |